PiStorms + NXTServo-v3 + MG 90S + Power supply?
 Hardware Related   Started by AndreasW   2016-12-05 12:56:52 -05:00   Comments: 9    Viewed: 381

1. AndreasW
    AndreasW Member
    Hi there,
    I'd like to combine the parts mentioned above and I wonder if I can use the rechargeable battery pack to also power the servo's (1-4 servo's). This would be great to reduce the size of the overall setup (no extra battery case).
    - Is that possible or may I use a port of the Pi for this purpose?
    - What is the output voltage of the r-battery pack?
    - What purpose does the 3-wire adapter (red-red-black) of the battery pack have?

Thanks, Andreas
    AndreasW, 2016-12-05 12:56:52 -05:00
  2. Mindsensors Support
    Mindsensors Support Member Richmond
    I'd like to combine the parts mentioned above and I wonder if I can use the rechargeable battery pack to also power the servo's (1-4 servo's). This would be great to reduce the size of the overall setup (no extra battery case).
    Yes, you should be able to use the Rechargeable battery pack to power your servos.

What is the output voltage of the r-battery pack?
    The output voltage of battery pack varies between 7 to 8 volts (depending on how much charged/depleted they are).
    Do this if you want to connect the battery pack while it is connected to PiStorms, -
    On the battery pack charger board just above the barrel connector are two holes, electrically they are connected to the two pins that deliver power to PiStorms.
    IYou can connect your power output wires for servos in those two holes.

One caution, the servos draw lot of power when moving, and that can cause the voltage to drop momentarily, and that can cause reset to the Pi - not sure if that will happen, but something to be aware of.

What purpose does the 3-wire adapter (red-red-black) of the battery pack have?
    That wire is for alternate charging for the battery. (it does not deliver power).
    Mindsensors Support, 2016-12-05 13:37:13 -05:00
  3. AndreasW
    AndreasW Member
    Thanks! In another forum I read that a high voltage (7V) damaged the MG 90s servos of a user. I'll definetly go for lower voltage and thought about using a USB port of the Pi meanwhile (one servo seems to need max 260mA in the loaded case, so USB should be sufficient)! Let's see :)

However, I'm still unsure how to control the servos via scratch. When servos are attached to PiStorms via the NXTServo-v3:
    - How do I address the individual motor ports of the NXTServo-v3 in scratch?
    - What motion commands are possible?

Andreas

AndreasW, 2016-12-17 14:20:14 -05:00
  4. AndreasW
    AndreasW Member
    Thanks! In another forum I read that a high voltage (7V) damaged the MG 90s servos of a user. I'll definetly go for lower voltage and thought about using a USB port of the Pi meanwhile (one servo seems to need max 260mA in the loaded case, so USB should be sufficient)! Let's see :)

However, I'm still unsure how to control the servos via scratch. When servos are attached to PiStorms via the NXTServo-v3:
    - How do I address the individual motor ports of the NXTServo-v3 in scratch?

Andreas
    AndreasW, 2016-12-22 03:12:54 -05:00
  5. AndreasW
    AndreasW Member
    As my last post (above) was not answered, I'd like to ask a bit different and to explain my problem.

I'd like use Servos (eg the pan tilt setup for picam, but also for other purposes) with Pistorms. Therefore, I can't use the servo controller delivered with pan-tilt, as the gpio pins of the Pi are not free. I bought the nxtservo-v3, but I could not figure out how to speak with it using Pistorms so far.

So I'd like to ask:
    - How do I address the individual motor ports of the NXTServo-v3 in scratch OR python?

Andreas
    AndreasW, 2016-12-27 13:09:57 -05:00
  6. Mindsensors Support
    Mindsensors Support Member Richmond
    Mindsensors Support, 2016-12-28 15:38:10 -05:00
  7. Can we get sample code for NXTServo-v3 with PiStorms
    Sitaram Choppakatlaa, 2017-05-02 11:09:01 -04:00
  8. seth10
    seth10 Member Staff Member
    seth10, 2017-05-05 09:22:40 -04:00
  9. Jard Crocker
    Jard Crocker Member
    Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge on the battery pack charger board just above the barrel connector are two holes, electrically they are connected to the two pins that deliver power to PiStorms.You can connect your power output wires for servos in those two holes.
    Jard Crocker, 2017-11-09 11:46:20 -05:00
  10. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!