Using EV3SensorMUX with labview
 Software and Programming Related   Started by Jacob Barak   2016-12-14 12:44:07 -05:00   Comments: 6    Viewed: 286

1. Jacob Barak
    Jacob Barak Member
    I want to use EV3SensorMux with Ev3 ultraasound distance sensors and Light sensor . I am programing the Ev3 with Labview 2014  or Labview 2015. 
    I didn't find a driver (Icon) for this mux (Like the icons I had used befor from the LVEE toolkit.
    Is there any driver/icon   that can help me perform this task? 
    Thanks in advance
    Jacob
    Jacob Barak, 2016-12-14 12:44:07 -05:00
  2. Mindsensors Support
    Mindsensors Support Member Richmond
    There is no driver icon for EV3SensorMux on the LabVIEW Palette yet, but you can use the I2C read icon to read the values you need.
    Refer to User Guide to see which i2c registers you will need to read.
    http://www.mindsensors.com/pdfs/EV3SensorMUX-User-Guide.pdf
    The 'Advanced Information' Section of the guide lists the related registers.
    Mindsensors Support, 2016-12-14 12:53:28 -05:00
  3. Jacob Barak
    Jacob Barak Member
    Hi 
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    Unfortunately my experience with the I2C read icon is zero, and using it seems not so simple and straight forward. Is it possible to get an example Labview code that can do the job ? (I mean - a simple code that defines reading from a specific register of the mux or from an equivalent hardware ) so I'll be able at least to try  writing the code for my case? 
    Thanks again. 
    Jacob
    Jacob Barak, 2016-12-16 01:43:17 -05:00
  4. Mindsensors Support
    Mindsensors Support, 2016-12-27 10:16:52 -05:00
  5. Jacob Barak
    Jacob Barak Member
    Hi 
    Thanks again. 
    I believe  I succeeded to get readings from an EV3 color sensor attached to the EV3 SensorsMux  after reading the information from the user guide, and trying to understand the example program you suggested in your second reply. 
    It was'nt an easy task for me and took a lot of trial and errors, since as I had mentioned I have no experience with I2C code .
    I'm attaching a link to a picture of my program, showing the panel and the diagram .
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ciqC247-j4YUFvNmFhTTU4Qnc
    I still need to check it with other sensors, and I'm not sure I understand why the second portion of the address determines where in the array the data is shown.I also need to figure out the transelation from the array data  which sometimes is a combination of letters and numbers, to the indexed data which is allways a number' so any suggestion may help.
    So thanks again for your help.
    Regards. 
    Jacob
    Jacob Barak, 2016-12-29 12:10:36 -05:00
  6. Mindsensors Support
    To verify that your labview program is working correctly, read the bytes:

0x08-0x0f (which is Vendor Id with value 'mndsnsrs')
    0x10-0x17 (which is Device ID with value 'Ev3SMux')

see to it that you are getting that data correctly, and then change the registers to read sensor values.
    Mindsensors Support, 2016-12-29 15:45:44 -05:00
  7. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!