Cannot install pi-pan
 Raspberry Pi   Started by Thomas Gatt   2017-06-09 11:37:47 -04:00   Comments: 7    Viewed: 225

1. Thomas Gatt
    Thomas Gatt Member
    I've recently updated my RPI 2 B+ to Jessie with Pixel and now I'm tyring to install pi-pan again but I'm getting the following error during installation:

pi@spencerpi:~/pi-pan $ sudo ./install-pi-pan.bash
    Updating config files...
    Updating PiPan and Pilight libraries...
    -----------------------------
    Pi-Light Install completed
    servod: Cannot parse the hardware name string
    Pi-Pan Install completed

I'm using the  pi-pan-2015-Jessie.tar.gz version. I've tried running the neutral_servo.py but I get the following:

pi@spencerpi:~/pi-pan $ python ./neutral_servo.py
    Neutral the pan and tilt servos
    *** ERROR ***
    Unable to open the device, check that servod is running
    To start servod, run: sudo /etc/init.d/servoblaster.sh start

Can you kindly help please?
    Thomas Gatt, 2017-06-09 11:37:47 -04:00
  2. Steve Bunch
    Steve Bunch Member
    I have the same issue with a Raspberry Pi 2 with latest OS revision.  The problem is with the servod program that is part of the ServoBlaster package.  The latest RPi OS returns the hardware chip as a BCM2835 (cat /proc/cpuinfo).  If you look that up on the raspberrypi.org website, they say that that chip is used in the Zero, whereas the correct number should be BCM2836, so somebody has goofed the chip recognition in the latest release, as well as changed the meaning of the value (BCM2708/BCM2709 were previously returned).  Meanwhile, the servod program (see servod.c) only checks to see if the value returned is BCM2708 or BCM2709.  If it's neither, you get that error message and servod refuses to run.

I tweaked servod.c to recognize the BCM2835 as being a BCM2709 just to see what happens, and it still didn't work.  I also forced the revision test to 2 and 3 to be sure that both options were being exercised, and still no joy.  The whole method being used for user-level recognition of hardware addresses and configuration, not just by ServoBlaster but by other user-level libraries that give access to underlying hardware, is fraught with danger.  IMHO, what's needed is a /proc entry that simply provides the necessary address bases, pin configurations, and chip register signatures being used.  The kernel module to provide it should be owned by RaspberryPi.org.

The installation and run scripts for PiPan also get some errors (and additional ones if you don't use the pi account), but they are easy to work around.

My response to all this will be to return the two servo controllers (one unopened, one opened and never successfully used) to MindSensors for someone else to use, and build a small daughterboard (protobooard cost $1 + connector $1 + caps and coil $2) with an Arduino pro mini ($5) connected to the Raspberry Pi via serial.  The Ardino code is dead-simple easy, and on the Raspberry Pi it's just a print statement...  No offense, a lot of work obviously went into it, but ServoBlaster is way too complicated and delicate to use for an application like PiPan.
    Steve Bunch, 2017-07-14 08:49:23 -04:00
  3. Steve Bunch
    Steve Bunch Member
    I found a Raspberry Pi running Jessie that hadn't been updated for a while, and installed PiPan on it.  It does work!  This board won't run the software I need, but at least it confirms that there was no hardware problem.  I'll try to find a use for it.  So don't let my negativity get in your way -- the board does work, if you don't mind running an older OS release.  For the record:

$ uname -a
    Linux razzycam3 4.4.13+ #894 Mon Jun 13 12:43:26 BST 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
    BogoMIPS : 697.95
    Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x0
    CPU part : 0xb76
    CPU revision : 7
    Hardware : BCM2708
    Revision : 000e
    Serial : 00000000537296ff

For a similarly old Raspberry Pi, with recent software update:

$ uname -a
    Linux razzycam 4.9.35+ #1014 Fri Jun 30 14:34:49 BST 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux
    srb@razzycam:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)

BogoMIPS : 697.95

Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 

CPU implementer : 0x41

CPU architecture: 7

CPU variant : 0x0

CPU part : 0xb76

CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2835

Revision : 0010

Serial : 00000000cd9612a5

Steve Bunch, 2017-07-14 13:58:52 -04:00
  4. seth10
    seth10 Member Staff Member
    Honestly, the easiest option might be to get a Raspberry Pi 3. Here is a new image of a newer release of Raspbian Jessie and the pi-pan software installed.

(Note these views and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of mindsensors.com)
    seth10, 2017-07-17 09:30:45 -04:00
  5. seth10
    seth10 Member Staff Member
    Steve Bunch, thank you for sharing your findings!
    seth10, 2017-07-17 09:47:19 -04:00
  6. Thomas Gatt
    Thomas Gatt Member
    I managed to solve the problem.

I downgraded the kernel version to 4.4.50+ by just one command;

sudo rpi-update 52241088c1da59a359110d39c1875cda5649676

First I changed the board to RPI3 to verify that the hardware still works and it did. Then I downgraded it to 4.4.50 and tried it again on RPi3 and then I changed the board again to RPi2 B and it worked :)
    Thomas Gatt, 2017-07-27 13:31:42 -04:00
    seth10 likes this.
  7. Matha Goram
    Matha Goram Member

Haven't had issues with PiPan but PiLight is another story as I try to keep current with the latest images for Jessie on my RPi B+ (not even a 2). Fresh install of Jessie followed by PiPan and PiLight (and nothing else) works fine and then the I2C interface goes AWOL after a few test cases. I've attributed the issue to my vintage board and kept PiLight as an ornament.

Regards.
    Matha Goram, 2017-08-09 00:44:07 -04:00
  8. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!