Checking if NXTCam is working
 Hardware Related   Started by Christoph Bartneck   2017-07-13 02:36:02 -04:00   Comments: 6    Viewed: 62

1. Hello,

My NXTCam v4 does only worked around 50% of the cases. In cases it does now work, the red LED does not switch on. I cannot find a pattern to determine when and why the camera fails. My code is available here:

https://github.com/bartneck/TicTacToe/tree/master/TicTacToe/src/org/minifigure

My question is, is there any way that I can test the correct operation of the camera from within the software? Can I test its status somehow?

Thanks,
    Christoph
    Christoph Bartneck, 2017-07-13 02:36:02 -04:00
  2. setht
    setht Member Staff Member
    Do you always see a few red flashes when you first power on the NXTCam-v4? After that do you see any continued flashes of red now and then?

Are you able to read the version number? (and consistantly?)
    setht, 2017-07-13 16:15:16 -04:00
  3. Hello,
    When the camera does not work then the LED is completely off. The serial number is

msSZE8A7

I read the serial number using my connected computer. Are you suggesting that being able to read the serial number from within the EV3 software is an indicator if the camera is working?

I could have a go at it and test it.

Thank you,
    Christoph

Christoph Bartneck, 2017-07-13 17:26:05 -04:00
  4. setht
    Could you please run the explorer program and tell us what you get?

If you run NXTCamView and click Connect, what does the status in the bottom-left corner of the window say? If you can connect, can you click Capture and see an image?

These steps will help us know where the problem might be.
    setht, 2017-07-14 10:10:03 -04:00
  5. Yes, I can do all those things and it works. The problem comes once I run the Java code that uses the camera. There, the camera does often not switch on or at least fails to respond.

Thanks
    Christoph
    Christoph Bartneck, 2017-07-15 02:16:47 -04:00
  6. setht
    Got it. Please take a look at the NXTCam User Guide. The supported programming environments are enumerated beginning on page 3. They include: EV3, NXT-G, LeJOS, RobotC, and NXC/NBC. If you are using Java then this is LeJOS, correct? If so,, could you point me to the documentation for the NXTCam class you're using? I'm looking at the documentation we link to from the user guide, but I can't find some of the methods you're using like sortBy and enableTracking. Cool project, by the way!
    setht, 2017-07-17 09:45:54 -04:00
  7. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!