EV3 low level API
 NXT and EV3   Started by Brian Perkins   2017-09-13 19:16:00 -04:00   Comments: 3    Viewed: 110

1. I was looking at the absoluteIMU mindstorms EV3 driver and I was interested in playing around with it to add some functionality.

I've had some success with enabling developer mode and modifying the underlying driver.  What seems strange to me are the mysterious "question mark" function calls such as PBrickInputSetupI2C.  I can more or less gather what these calls are attempting to do, but I can't find any documentaion on these. I also am unclear on how to create and delete port

I also don't quite understand how to create these function calls in any non-roundabout way (copy paste works and I assume I could edit the xml to create them). I also don't understand how to create new ports.

I've read "Creating Blocks for LEGO Mindstorms EV3" which has some good information, but I feel like I must be missing something.

Thanks for any advice.
    Brian Perkins, 2017-09-13 19:16:00 -04:00
  2. seth10
    seth10 Member Staff Member
    Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately those who have built our EV3 blocks have moved on to other opportunities. Still, I can help you with what I've been able to gather.

It seems you've figured out that, in developer mode, you can double-click a block to open its .vix file. I, too, see many VIs prefixed by "PBrick". I am not sure what "PBrick" refers to.

I would suggest browsing the Developer menu. The VI Data panel has some information related to what you're looking for, though I'm not sure if you need a proper LabVIEW installation to modify it. Also see the Palette under the Developer menu.
    seth10, 2017-09-19 10:45:29 -04:00
  3. Thanks.
    One question:
    It looks like the driver send 0xcc to the control register (0x41) before every sensor read. I don't see that command documented in the hardware pdf.  
    What does that do?
    Brian Perkins, 2017-09-19 18:56:05 -04:00
  4. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!