Problem with AbsoluteIMU-ACG compass
 Software and Programming Related   Started by Marekk S   2015-09-11 14:11:13 -04:00   Comments: 3    Viewed: 615

1. Marekk S
    Marekk S Member

Postby marek.kaminski.1112 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Dear All,

My name is Marek, I am from Poland and I've bought AbsoluteIMU-ACG and I want to create in NXC a robot driving the given direction.

I want to use its compass heading value for that.

The problem is: when I, for instance, orient the robot exactly north and let it drive just several centimeters, it soon turns out that comass heading changes by about 10 degrees (so from 0 (north) to 10).

Can this be caused by magnetic fields in my room (I think the robot is far enough from their influence but I'm not sure), or should I calibrate the compass or even gyro and accelerometer too?

I've read the calibration guide and I worry to make things worse because as I understand the calibration is permanent change to the sensor (can you please confirm that, or show me the way of restoring factory settings)?

Thank you,
    With best regards,
    Marek
    Marekk S, 2015-09-11 14:12:16 -04:00
  2. Mindsensors Support
    Mindsensors Support Member Richmond

Postby micgil2293 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:54 am

It is recommended that the compass be calibrated. The magnetic field where you are and the magnetic field at the manufacturing facility will be different. It is very possible that you are getting interference, but most devices will only interfere if the ABSIMU comes with approximately a foot or shorter. Also, 10 degrees is a very small change, It is possible that when your robot starts moving there is an initial jerk causing the 10 degree difference. Check to see if the comapass heading becomes greater over time.
    Mindsensors Support, 2015-09-11 14:12:52 -04:00
  3. Marekk S
    Marekk S Member

Postby marek.kaminski.1112 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:29 am

Thank you very much for the answer and explanation. Ok, I'll do the calibration and will let you know the results.

Best regards and happy Easter,
    Marek
    Marekk S, 2015-09-11 14:14:33 -04:00
  4. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!