High Precision Short Range Infrared distance sensor
 Hardware Related   Started by Njsokalskii S   2015-09-11 16:23:07 -04:00   Comments: 3    Viewed: 527

1. Postby njsokalski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

In the description for the High Precision Short Range Infrared distance sensor for NXT or EV3 it says "Detect obstacles between 7cm to 30cm" and "Provides reading directly in millimeters". The millimeters part is the precision I need, but I need to be able to detect things that are closer than 7 cm. Do these specifications mean that I can't detect objects until they are 7 cm away? Maybe this is just me, but in order to make a robot that does anything interesting, it definitely needs to get closer than 7 cm. Am I misinterpreting these specifications, or is this as close as I can get? Thanks.
    Njsokalskii S, 2015-09-11 16:23:26 -04:00
  2. Mindsensors Support
    Mindsensors Support Member Richmond

Postby support » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 pm

On Short range sensor that's the closest you can get.
    How close objects do you want to detect? And what are the surface properties of that object? (such as white paper/aluminum foil, curved/flat, reflective/transparent etc?)
    Mindsensors Support, 2015-09-11 16:23:54 -04:00
  3. Postby njsokalski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:53 pm

I basically want to get within 1 or 2 mm to a small wooden cube which is 8mm so that I can pick it up. Because the cube is so small, I need to be able to determine when I am close enough for my robot to pick it up. But 7 cm seems too far to me regardless of what you are doing. If the precision is actually 1 mm, then for some projects you could just determine the distance from farther away and then calculate how far forward to drive, but that would only work for larger objects and robots that actually drive around. Some of my planned robots don't actually drive, they just use conveyor belts, claws, and rotate, so the objects involved are never far enough away.
    Njsokalskii S, 2015-09-11 16:24:07 -04:00
  4. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!