Stereo NXTcams to track and catch a ball in midair
 Showcase Your Creations   Started by Dsharlett S   2015-09-14 09:54:10 -04:00   Comments: 1    Viewed: 553

1. Dsharlett S
    Dsharlett S Member

Postby dsharlet » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:31 pm

This is a delta robot that uses stereo NXTcams to track and catch a ball thrown through the air. Stereo calibration with NXTcams was not easy, but eventually I got good enough calibration to make this work (some of the time) :)

The delta robot has a reachable area with a radius of ~25 studs. it can catch the ball around 1/5 of the time for good throws, i.e. throws in reach of the arm and lofty enough to give it time to estimate the trajectory and move to the intercept.

I was not sure this project would be possible when starting work on it. I am amazed that the EV3 has enough computational power to solve the problems I'm asking it to do, and quickly enough to react in time to catch the ball. I even run the stereo calibration on board the robot!

This project uses ev3dev: http://www.ev3dev.org. I had to build custom NXTcam support code. It would be great if mindsensors shipped support for ev3dev!
    Dsharlett S, 2015-09-14 09:55:17 -04:00
  2. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Tems & Conditions!
Help!