How to use I2C Firmware Upgrader Ensure that -
- You have downloaded the Firmware Upgrader executable
- You have correct firmware file for the device you are upgrading
|Run the Firmware Upgrader application |
The Firmware Upgrader is designed to run on a MS-Windows XP or Vista or Windows 7 computer.
- Place the program and its configuration file and device firmware in any folder on your computer.
- Connect your NXT directly to your PC on USB port.
(Do not use USB hub between PC and NXT. Do not connect your device to NXT yet).
- Exit all other softwares that could interfere with NXT connection.
(Softwares such as NXT-G, BricxCC, RobotC do connect to NXT).
- Power OFF and Power ON NXT to ensure fresh USB connection.
- Browse to the folder and double-click the application 'fwupgrader'.
|Select the Device type |
From the 'Device' menu, select menu item 'Select Device type ...' and choose your device.
|Open firmware hex file |
From 'Device' menu, select menu item 'Open Firmware hex file ...', browse to the hex file, and open it.
|Upgrade the device |
Now from 'Device' menu, select menu item 'Upgrade Device ...'
The program will look for the device for about 10 seconds,
during this time, connect the device to your NXT on Sensor Port 1.
(If your device is already connected to Sensor Port 1, unplug it and plug it back in while the program is looking for the device.)
|Wait for upgrade process to complete |
The progress bar will indicate remaining time required to finish this process.
Do not disconnect the NXT or your device until the upgrade finishes.
|Disconnect the device |
It now has the new firmware that you had in the hex file.
|To Check a device for Upgrader support |
Not all devices can be upgraded with this tool.
Follow these steps to check if an i2c device you have can be upgraded or not -
- Attach NXT to your PC on USB and power it on
- Select the menu option: 'Check Device for Upgrader Support ...' from Menu 'Device'
- When the program is looking for a device, attach your device to Sensor Port 1 of NXT (If your device is already connected to Sensor Port 1, unplug it and plug it back in while the program is looking for the device.)
- The program will then report if the device can be upgraded or not, and if it is upgradable, it will also report type of the device.